Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in /home/gokievco/public_html/site/modules/module.formMailer.php on line 3

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in /home/gokievco/public_html/system/plugins/plugin.spacesLoader.php on line 3

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in /home/gokievco/public_html/system/libs/class.spacesLoader.php on line 172

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in /home/gokievco/public_html/system/plugins/plugin.title.php on line 7

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in /home/gokievco/public_html/system/plugins/plugin.skin_view.php on line 7

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in /home/gokievco/public_html/site/skins/skin_1/class.complite.php on line 38

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in /home/gokievco/public_html/system/libs/class.complits.php on line 88

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in /home/gokievco/public_html/system/plugins/plugin.twikilink.php on line 8
Lvov
 
    Home Print Version Contact Site Map
 
 
Users Area

Please sign in below to access your account or register to create a new account.
E-mail:


Password:

Forgot password?


Lvov


Lvov                                                                                                                                                         

Lvov was founded by King Danilo of the Ruthenian principality of Halych-Volynia and named in honor of his son, Lev. The city's history dates back to the 13th century. In the past, it was spared several invasions and wars that destroyed many Ukrainian cities. In the 16th century, however, it was twice struck by large fire that ruined most of the town's gothic style buildings. Lvov managed to retain a rich variety of Renaissance, Baroque, Art Nouveau and Art Deco structures. There is a great deal of stone carvings and sculptures to be seen on the buildings, the remains of ancient castles and old churches and many houses hide inside courtyards and grottos. Often the large, thick doors with carvings and woodwork from hundreds of years ago are enough to catch one's attention. While in the city center there is only a handful of distractive Soviet monuments and sculptures, once you head to the outskirts, the architecture changes radically and the Soviet era style dominates the landscape.                                                           
However, during the last decades the economic and enviromental issues have taken their toll on the many historical buidlings in the city. The system change that followed the independence of Ukraine created a legal and cultural vacuum which some of the building owners were not late to use at the expense of preservation of historical heritage. Some of the historical buildings were renovated with no respect to the standards of restoration and hence lost their authentic appearance. Some of the monuments were illegally dismantled and sold as scrap metal. City authorities ran into financial difficulties and had to cut funding for upkeeping of historical buildings. This, however, has already started to become a thing of the past as more and more attention is paid to saving the national historical heritage. 
                                                                                                                         
The Lvov High Castle or Lvov Castle Hill
The High Castle is located near the center of Lvov. It is the highest point of Lvov at 413 meters above the sea level and it used to be surrounded by a fortification. The Castle Hill took its name from the High Castle (as opposite to the other, Low Castle), which used to stand atop the hill from 13th till late 19th century. The castle was the the main defensive fort of the city during its existence.

The first fortifying structures on the Castle Hill appeared in the time of Halych-Volynia and were built by Leo I. of Halych. They were traditionally constructed of wood and soil. In 1259 at the order of Burunday Khan, they were destroyed, but were later rebuilt. In 1340, when Lvov was first occupied by Casimir III. of Poland, the wooden castle was burnt down. In 1353 it was destroyed again. A new castle appeared on the hill at the end of the 14th century and it became the residence of local aristocracy. During the Khmelnytsky Uprising it was taken by Cossack forces led by Maksym Kryvonos in 1648. Some fifty years later, the castle was heavily damaged during the Swedish occuppation. In 1777, Austrians initiated dissassembling of the fortifications. In the 19th century the ruins were taken apart and a new fortress was built. The fortifications were strengthened, trees were planted on the hills' slope and a park was established. In 1957 a 141 meter tall TV tower was placed on the hill. Currently, there is an observation platform too.

Lychakivskyi Cemetery
The cemetery was established in 1787 and was since used to bury citizens of the local middle and upper classes. Initially the cemetery was located on several hills in the borough of Lyczakow, following the imperial Austro-Hungarian edict that all cemeteries be moved outside the of the city limits. The original project was prepared by Karol Bauer, the head of the Lwyw University botanical garden.

In mid 1850s the cemetery was expanded by Tytus Tchyrzewski who created the present network of alleys and roundabouts. It then became the main city cemetery and soon most other cemeteries were closed. The two largest that remained were the Yanivskiy Cemetery (in Polish Janowski, with graves of mostly working class people) and the adjacent New Jewish Cemetery. Lychakivskiy Cemetery was used by all Christians - in addition to Roman Catholics, it also included Eastern Rite Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox.

In 1925 the ashes of one of the unknown defenders of Lwyw were transferred to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Warsaw. Since 1999 there is also a monument to the Sich Riflemen located just outside the mausoleum of Polish defenders of the city in 1918.

After World War II the city was annexed by the Soviet Union to the Ukrainian SSR and majority of the surviving pre-war inhabitants were expelled to former German areas annexed to Poland. This started a period of devastation of historical monuments located at the cemetery. Up to 1971 many of the sculptures were destroyed; the cemetery of Lwyw Eagles was completely destroyed and turned into a truck depot. However, in 1975, the cemetery was declared a historical monument and the degradation ended. Since late 1980s the cemetery has seen constant rebuilding and refurbishment and continues to be one of the principal tourist attractions of Lvov.

In late 2006 the city administration announced the future transfer of the tombs of Stepan Bandera, Yevhen Konovalets, Andriy Melnyk and others to a new area of the cemetery specifically dedicated to the Ukrainian national liberation struggle.

Where to stay

Hotel Wien **** Svobody 12 +38 0322 44 43 14
+38 0322 44 43 15
 
Hotel George
EBA Discounts
Mickiwich Square 1 +38 0322 72 59 52 info@georgehotel.com.ua
Hotel Burger *** Ivana Franka 73 +38 0322 76 12 51
+38 0322 75 49 54
 

Hotel Citadel Inn ****
EBA Discounts

Grabovski 11 + 38 0322 957999 info@citadel-inn.com.ua
Hotel Eney **** Shimzeriv 2 +38 0322 76 87 99
+38 0322 96 50 31
eney@mail.lviv.ua
Hotel Dnister ** Mateyka 6 +38 0322 97 43 17  
Hotel Hetman Velykoho 50    
Hotel Grand *** Svobody Prospekt 13 +38 0322 97 43 05
+38 0322 97 43 06
 
Hotel Opera **** Svobody Prospekt 45 +38 0322 25 90 00  
Hotel The Lion’s castle Glinky 7 +38 0322 97 15 63 info@lioncastle.lviv.ua
Hotel - Resort Lake Land 
EBA discounts available
Stavkova 60
Pustomyty Gorod Lvov Region
+ 38 office@o-k.in.ua
Hotel Swiss **** Kniazia Romana 20    
Private apartments Smolskogo 1a /3b +38 0322 76 55 07 inotour@gmail.com

Coffee Houses

Dom Kofe

Shevchenka Ave 23

+38 0322 72 68 40

Rudoj Cot

Drucarskaja 4

+38 0322 96 59 14

Mushketer

Grushevskogo7

+38 0322 74 30 76

Visantia

Pecarskaja 26/1

+38 0322 76 60 85

Sonata

Valovaja 13

+38 0322 74 42 29

Caravan

Lipinskogo Str 36

+38 0322 44 54 04

Pekin

Grushevskogo 8

+38 0322 74 21 07


Restaurants
 

Kilikia

Virmenska 13/3

Armenian option

+38 0322 72 62 01

Lev Restaurant

Teatralna 16

Princely choice at Leopolis

+38 0322 95 95 00

The Vinnese Cafe

Svobody Ave 12

Upmarket haunt

+38 0322 72 20 21

Grand Restaurant

Svobody Ave 13

Gracious dining in the Grand hotel

+38 0322 72 40 42

Veronica

Shevchenko 21

Café-restaurant

+38 0322 97 81 28

Kapriz

Listopadovogo china 3

Bar-restaurant

+38 0322 74 10 33
+38 0322 74 51 12

Split

Mizkevicha Sq. 6/7

Restaurant

+38 0322 98 71 33
+38 0322 98 71 26

Cykernia

Staroevrejskaja 3

Coffee house

+38 0322 74 09 49

 

Shopping
JAF Ukraine
 Zelena street  147  79035 Lvow  + 380 32 240 48 45
Interior dsign furniture wood is world - 5% discount for EBA members



 
 


We speak English!

Do you need a taxi within  Kiev or an airport transfer?

Do you want to travel to another city by car?

Call us +380 44 234 6992 or send an email to marina@go2kiev.com

We arrange the best transport for you fast!

Airoport Boryspol transfer 35 USD 
Airport Zhulyany transfer 15 USD

Payment possibility: Paypal




 

Cost per person
$ = 5 -10 USD
$$ = 10 - 20 USD
$$$ = 20 - 50 USD
$$$$ = over 50 USD

Discount Card
CB = Carte Blanche
KK = Kozyrna Karta
MK = Mirova Karta
PP = Pass Paradis
RR = Rostick Restaurants

 Summer Terrace summer terrace


           Web            www.go2kiev.com           
advertise | contacts | linkssitemap | terms of service | designed by IT Marketing